This was the best laptop that I have ever used or owned. Then I got Plover. I still have Stellar, we watch movies on him.
- 2010 Macbook Pro 13" running El Capitan + VirtualBox for Ubuntu
- 8 GB of RAM
- 240 GB Samsung 840 SSD
For upgrades see Other World Computing
See also GIS on the Macintosh
- 2015-09 I downgraded to a 240 SSD so I could use the 750 for volunteer work at Point Reyes.
- 2015- We settled into our new dwelling, I got around to looking at Stellar and it was all better; it's been fine ever since. Huh.
- 2014- The system controller stopped working, and we were on the road so I bought Plover.
- 2014-06 Upgrade SSD from 120 to 750
- 2012-12 Reinstall Lion
- 2012-11 Ubuntu 12.10
- 2012-11 OCZ 120GB (replacement for 240, what I had available)
- 2012-* OCZ 240GB SSD
- 2012? Snow Leopard -> Lion
- 2011- 500GB Seagate Momentus 7200
- 2011? Replaced failed power supply
- 2010- 8GB RAM
- 2010 purchased at Mac store
Upgrade hard drive
Boot from spare external bootable drive (keep one of these around!)
Use 'dd' to copy from one quiet unmounted drive to the other. For example,
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=128m conv=noerror,sync
Repair the partition table by recreating it. See http://info.michael-simons.eu/2010/11/19/migrate-os-x-to-a-bigger-hard-disk/
Before: sudo gpt show /dev/disk1 Password: start size index contents 0 1 PMBR 1 1 Pri GPT header 2 32 Pri GPT table 34 6 40 409600 1 GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B 409640 '''248390464''' 2 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC 248800104 1269536 3 GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC 250069640 0 4 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC 250069640 1215079495 1465149135 32 Sec GPT table 1465149167 1 Sec GPT header 511 sudo gpt destroy /dev/disk1 512 sudo gpt create -f /dev/disk1 513 sudo gpt show /dev/disk1 514 sudo gpt add -b 409600 -s '''248390464''' /dev/disk1
When the OCZ 240GB drive crashed I install Ubuntu to get work done out of town. When I got back I needed to re-install but had originally installed Snow Leopard from DVD and Lion via online upgrade. To re-install Lion without digging out the Snow Leopard DVD I was able to download an image of Lion from Apple, use Linux to load it onto a thumb drive, and install onto the SSD from the thumb drive.
I RMA'ed the 240 drive and have it as a spare- 120 is currently plenty of space on the Mac.
- Dropbox (storage for Calibre books)
- Fitbit (requires Silverlight)
After the OCX 240 drive crashed I temporarily installed Ubuntu on the Mac to get it running quickly. Most everything worked with a few minor tweaks for things like the tablet. I went back to running Mac OS/X Lion when I had some quiet time to figure out how to reinstall it.
UbuntuGIS 12.10 distribution
- Android developer setup including Eclipse
- Quantum GIS
I am using Stellar more now as Plover sometimes is tied up.
I installed Brew,
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
and then Git,
brew install git
brew install ansible
Brew installed Xcode! Forgot it would do that.